Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Dolmens Of The Emerald Valley, Sochi

In my travel blog "Vacation And Travel Talk" I write the reports about my trip in the "Emerald Valley" in Sochi (Caucasian Mountain-Tour, "Emerald Valley", first part; and Second Part). Last part of that trip was the visit of Dolmens. There are many dolmens in the region of Sochi and some of them here, in the "Emerald Valley".

I write about them in this blog because they have something common with the theme of it.

The word dolmen comes from celtic "tolmen" that means tol=table and men=stone. They come from megalitic period (about 3-2 000 years BC), there are in all the world except Australia. Many of them are in the places near the sea. Dolmens are plates of the stone that are on other stones. And these are cases of the place I show you here. Somebody said they are equal as those in France and Italy.

There are abour 10 of them and most are in bad conditions. But there are 2 that are so good that I could do the photos.


So, some of them were made as a box with a hole in the bottom. This one has a canopy that felt (persons sit on it). As you see here, some of them come specially to meditate nearby. I wanted to know, what they are avaiting from this mediation but had not answer. And how you want to contact whom you want contact if there are so many persons and children that play?

Very interesting is this photo. Look at the construction: how could do it people that were able only to make primitive knifes etc? Over this was the canopy.

And here is the inside part of the dolmen. As you can see, the "plate" (floor) is made perfectly too. I don't know more about these constructions, sincerely, but as I know, sarcophags are made this way too. By the way, do you know, that "sarcofagus" means "eating meat"?

What you see on this photo nobody knows.

The last of these constructions is called "minger". If dolmens represent femminile side, mingers represent male side. Somebody says it is the phallic symbol,other sa it is the door to the other world. You have to place your feet on that special places and you can enter in the other wrld with this time machine. Probably you have to do it in special days because nobody from our group entered there.


Interesting article to read more about it IN RUSSIAN (use translator)

6 comments:

  1. That sound very like Hindu culture, sunni and lingam , the male and female genitals represented by stones in temples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really interesting. Maybe you want to write about it? Or we can try to learn more the theme that seems to be interesting enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to learn yoga. The problem is there is no teacher in my city. Do you have any suggestion ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not a teacher at the beginning too. But there are 2 teachers of yoga that wrote really great books about the technique. Why is it great? 1/ these teachers are great practitioners. 2/ They explain not only all the peculiarities of the assanas but the errors and special points to follow too. One of them is B.K.S. Iyengar, actually there is his very big book with all explanations and the second (for me he is first) is Swami Shivananda. I don't know if this is one of his books look here. I have all his books in Russian.

    You can read what I wrote once about my personal experience here
    What I do

    If I can help I'll answer your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe, I have included the pics of a lingam and suni in my pilgrimage post at Travel pangs but did not mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I was not interested in this and don't remember. Ah, no, I've seen them. But they are not so big as these constructions.

    ReplyDelete