Some researches proved that all this depend from the ...lack of the Vitamin D.
The problem is that it's not enough to assume vitamins in tabs. We need half an hour (at least) of exposure to the sun every day. The right form of Vit.D can be created only by sun in our bodies. We can eat handfuls of tabs every day but they don't work without sun. Unfortunatelly.
A study of 1282 elderly residents in the Netherlands found increased depression among people whose serum levels of vitamin D were below 25 (OH), with severity of depression dramatically increased as D levels decreased.
The way to combine sun and an other remedy to cure depression, physical exercises, is to walk at least 30 minutes every day. Specially, it's valid for aged and obese persons.According to the Vitamin D Council several factors impact how much D is produced:
- Angle of sun’s rays. If your shadow is longer than you are tall, little vitamin D is being made.
- Skin color. People with fair skin have less melanin to protect against sun damage and need only 15 minutes of exposure, while those with dark skin need up to six times longer.
- Amount of skin exposed. Forty percent of a body’s surface should be exposed. Torso exposure produces the most D; legs and arms a little; hands and face almost none.
- Age slows production, taking four times longer for people over 60 and under 20.
- Sunscreens as low as 8 block up to 95% of vitamin D production.
- Cloud cover and air pollution can reflect or absorb UVB.
- Glass blocks all UVB.
Than. There are Omega 3 fats. Those are essential for our brains, too. I don't want to repeat the things you know just. I want only to tell you about the new researches' results.
Magnetic resonance imaging has shown depressed people have stiffer cell membranesAnd this essential substance we can find in natural products like Fish Oils. These do not work without sun exposion, too.
(quotes are from the books of Gracelyn Guyol sent me in a mail by her promoter probably)