Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thinking About The Death


Посмотреть на Яндекс.Фотках

When you begin to speak about our death with other persons, they don't want do it. Very often they will say you, you have to finish this speach. But it's bad tradition. We have to remember about it. How is said, "memento mori"?

Mediation on death is one of the main parts of the preparative practices in Buddhismus, you know. I learned it when I was a student in ILTK, these is one of the important parts in other Schools.
The situation is so, more or less, if said in poor words:

1. There is only one thing that we are completly sure in this world: everybody who is born will die.
We can do this or that trying to extend our lives and maybe we can be succesful in it, but -later or earlier- we will die.

2. In our death we will be alown. Nobody can come together, and there is nothing we can take with us. (...only Dharma...)

3. Nobody can assure us that next morning will come before our death.

Don't wait for tomorrow. Don't thing you will have time for important things one day. Do all necessary things now. (...do practices ecc)

About a week ago I had not patience with my old dog and hit her different times. She has a bad character, now when she is old she is really impossible. I try to make her move a little, call her for walks, but it's necessary to call buldoser to make her move some passes. So, I became too angry and hit her.
Some days later -she forgave me and understood that she has not be so disobedient too- she waited for me when I picked up cherries. I went down and began to speak with her and caress her.
But something happend with me. When I did it, my eyes saw that I buried her dead body. It was terrible. I spoke with her, caressed her but my eyes saw her dead.
She is my only friend after the death of Imir. There are cats too, but cats are not the same as the dog. And than we live with her fast 12 years together. From her 3 month of life. Now she is old and very ill and there is not so much time left for us.

This vision I had it 2 or 3 times. Everytime I caressed her, I saw her dead body and I bury it.
I cryed all the day and the night. I had headaches and other "pleasures" we have after crying too much.

But the next day I was happy to have this vision. I remembered to show her my love. I remembered she will die in short time, and that I'll "kill" myself after her death if I do nothing to make her happy when she is with me else.

So, the meditation on death is a priceless tool to remember us to give as much as possible love to our loved beings.

3 comments:

  1. Death is inevitable. Meditating on it perhaps helps us to appreciate life more even with all the hardships. If it helps us to do good things, all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's why I adore Buddhismus, Footiam: it learns the GREAT things, it learns me to be a PERSON.
    I say often, we had to learn this philosophy from the first classes of the school.

    Dear Debasis, I think I will be some more free now and will write a good article about the meditation on Death. In the honour of Vesak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing here, Liudmila. I adore it for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete