Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Why These Incredibly Stupid Positions In Kama Sutra?

In his post Sex Footiam has a photo of Khajuraho Temple. I noticed a strange peculiarity of one part of this bás-relief and watched the photo with great attention after it.

I've never thought about it, but have you ever asked the question: why many positions that we can see in the innumerous books about Kama-Sutra and similar editions are practically stupid? Well, the first example I have on this same photo.

Look at this part I cut from the photo from Footiam's post. If you watch it attentively you will agree with me: the figures are depicted upright, not horizontaly, I want to say, not in bed in other words.

All we here are adult persons, so I think you understand me: is it not crazy? Is it possible to have pleasure at least for one of the 4 characters of the scene, or to make babies in this position?

Now, do you want to have an answer?
Here it is. (I think it is very plausible even if I am not completely sure that it comes from there)
Vedas told: if you want to have a special reincarnation as your baby (manifestation of a Buddha or Bodhisattva etc), you have to make it in a special position. This position -every time specific- was suggested to the future parents in the temple, I think. This is the reason of "stupidities" we find in many "specialized" pictures.

My thoughts about it:
can you imagine how laughd the prist after he suggested something similar the position on the photo? At his place I would make everything to assist the execution...

5 comments:

  1. The Kama Sutra has 36 chapters devided into seven parts. The "positions" account for 10 chapters.

    But I am getting too brittle for these chapters.

    The sixth part of which there are six chapters is getting my interest. Titled "About courtesans: Chapters on advice of the assistants on the choice of lovers, looking for a steady lover, ways of making money, renewing friendship with a former lover, occasional profits, profits and losses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A literature in the Net which I came across sometime ago said that the erotic statues are just outside the temples; there isn't any inside; only the Gods are there; suggesting that to reach a God-like state; sex is not answer. Now, how;s that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably you are right. I could not make an opinion about it else.

    Have you seen inside pictures of Lukhang Temple?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really strange and i agree with you.

    ReplyDelete