Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

If Someone Strikes You On The Right Cheek

This is the quater I remembered when wrote my previous post and discussed it in comments:
In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus says these familiar words, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.” (Mtt 5:38-39) ( Source)
I read and heard many times that persons discuss these words (Footiam, you see, Jesus says the same your words about bad persons, but calls them "evil persons") and I was not agree with Jesus Christ too. How is it possible -turn to him the other! Nonsens.

I could understood it only in the last period. I -as always- tell you the story. I think, the stories explain the thought better as simple words.

This summer I had a very bad experience. Person that had to love me and that I'm very bounded to, betrayed me. I know that this person doesn't love me, I knew that will betray me in this situation or at least will try to do everything possible to make bad to me, but I was not ready to experience it. One thing is to know, other thing is to experience.

It was one of the worst days in my life. I can't explain what I proved. I could not believe my eyes. I hoped I'm not right, and hoped this person in the last moment will remember who am I and will not do it for me.
But... for this person the only important thing was to throw me from the question. And so was.

I was shocked. Not for the question, but for the behaviour.
I began to repeate: I wish, they become finally happy with my things. First times I said these words with anger. But more I repeated them more they were sincere.

After some time I began to feel Very Happy. I did not think about the losed things, I had not emotions in confront to this person. Nothing. I had to live with this person in the same room and we had quiet relations. I had not to forgive or to forget, I could not change the situation. But nothing had any importance.
Our Lama said us once: you have to understand that wrathful yidam is our anger that went out of us. I could not understand it for some time. Now I think, when the bad part of us goes away, like bad spirit, what remains inside us is our true nature. Happy nature.

That is why we can "turn him the other". We alow that the "bad spirit" goes away.

After that first time I had the same reaction different other times. I don't do it specially. It happens so. I understand that the person is suffering, I don't wish punishment, revenge. I let him/her take what they want and let them go.

Believe or not believe, but I have Incredible Happyness in return.
And it's the best.

4 comments:

  1. It's human to be angry when someone betray us. Be angry with him but not at the expense of ourselves.These people are not worthwhile to be angry with really. Life goes on with or without them. But let him slap the other cheek. Over our dead bodies! We can't allow them to commit more sins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the reason I could never understood this "turn him the other". Yes, FOR ME it's good, no doubts. But these persons understand something only if they know that they will be striken in response. And will continue to do bad till they have this responce.

    So, the problem is: to finish the violence you NEED to give the strike back. More powerful strike.

    If you live on the high mountain, and you will never see this person more, well, turn the cheek.
    But if you remain with them, there are only 2 ways: or you show them their place or they will crucify you sooner or later.

    Where is the truth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. see what happen to Jesus? Crucified!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh, this is what i wanted to say.

    ReplyDelete