Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Dalai Lama Crying when Teaching Bodhicitta

This video is very beautiful. I was really delighted to watch it. And the teachind is very nice too. I wrote the text you can see in English there to read it more easily. So, you can enjoy it too.



...to direct our mind towards them, this shows we have great merit. For the Lama it's fortunate to have this opportunity to teach about Bodhicitta. For you, the desciples, also this occasion for bodhicitta the altruistic mind cherishing others over oneself you are fortunate to hear the teaching on it. Whoever generates this altruistic intention will find themselves setting out on the path to true happiness. We all want happiness and don't want suffering. Right? If you wish for real peace and harmony there is nothing more one could ask for than reflecting on bodhicitta.

Usually, I do believe and even say that, as recited in Lama Choepa: You are the Guru, the Personal Deity, the Angel, the Dharma Protector, as I do not seek any refuge other than you from now until my enlightenment please hook me with your compassion in this life, in the interim state, and throughout future lives. Relieve me from the fears of existance and peace, grant me all feats, befriend me forever, and avert all obstacles.

It is bodhicitta, this good heart, which is all these.It helps us in this life and in the in-between state.Also if one is able to maintain this altruistic mind at the time of dieing it is absolutely certain that the next life will be good. Why?
A bad rebirth is due to the negative actions and these are purified by the altruistic intention. An excellent higher form of rebirth has to come about through merit and there is nothing greater than the altruistic intention to gain merit.

Please hook me with your compassion in this life, in the interim state, and throughout future lives. This delivers us from our existence in samsara. How? We are tossed around in samsara by our ego-clinging wich destroys ourselves and others. Since the intelligent Bodhisattvas are able to see it how would they ever appreciate ego-clinging at all? How would they ego-clinging overpower them? Therefore bodhicitta helps us to get out of samsara. Although bodhicitta is not cultivated just for nirvana, it happens as a natural side-effect of this practice. It is only bodhicitta wich can release us from the one-sided peace of nirvana. No other path can do it.

Regarding "grant all blessings" bodhicitta fulfills all our goals in this life and in the next, temporary and ultimate. Even for our ordinary needs like sleep, cultivate the altruistic mind and you will be happy.
When you are happy, you will be helthier and you will sleep more peacefully, and your food will taste better, everybody will be friends with you, even birds and animals. How happy! You will live longer. You may not age permanently or die untimely death.

If you could think bodhicitta, this good heart, though you are young, you will be in harmony with everybody. In middle age you will not be troublesome but helpful to all. If you have been practicing bodhicitta than even when you become old, you will be calm and peaceful. Otherwise, if you become one of those elderly people who always make a nuisance, your own children will complain. Worse still, the children might think, "How awful! These oldies haven't died yet!" Even children, if they are kindhearted, receive more presents! Children who are always fighting, or are cruel lose out. They get no presents and nobody will take care of them.

If you are kind, you will be happy in childhood, middle and old age. You will be happy in this life and in future lives.
A kind heart is an offering to please the Buddha. Develop it so that all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are delighted. Right? And our kind heart will be our friend forever, as we pray in Lama Choepa: plese be my friend forever. It is kindness which can avert the obstacles. I talked about it before.

So far, I haven't met people trying to harm me. If they did come to me, I am not sure if I can react with bodhicitta. However when I'm relaxed, I do think, "Who are my enemies? Where are they? I feel sorry for them." All beings are our "friends". We should not exclude enemies, beings who hinder us or evil beings. (from my blog "Yungdrung Bon Blog")

No comments:

Post a Comment