Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2007

Where to find joy in the modern life

This post is not about religions and other difficult things. But I need some sentences with "embarrassing" words to introduce the theme.

Maybe you will not believe me, but I had great controversies with different persons from different nations, that practice buddhismus, discussing it. Joy is one of the most important demands for a practicioner, I said. Texts say, you will have more realizations if you practice with joy, I said. But -as always and you are accustomed of it too- I forgot, where I read about it. I have this sort of memory: I remember the content, but I don't remember the author or the title.

Yesterday I was very sad and in anxiety, could not do anything and decided to make a catalog of buddhists text I have, those I learned in the ILTK.
I opend "The Precious Garland" by Abbot Dragpa Ghieltsen to write summary... and began to read it. This text is a comment to "Bodhisattvacharyavatara" (Shantideva) -one of the very important texts speaking about actions of a Bodhisattva (once, I think, Dalai Lama said, this is the most important book in his life).

Bodhisattva is a person with many precious qualities. Every Bodhisattva has to reach different Perfections (from 6 to 10) to become Buddha.

What is interesting for me this time: one of these Perfections is Joy.



"the fulfilment of the aim of every action is possible with joyful effort"
"It's unpossible that concentration can appear in a lazy person, you have to generate joyful effort day and night."
"joyful effort of the non-indolence is reached through the help to others"
"method to increase virtue is joyful effort"

In this world, wild and mad elephants
are not able to make damage
similar to the most deep infernal sufferings
caused by the rabid elephant of my mind. (5.3)

...all types of enemies
will be curbed
by only subdue of my mind... (5.5)

"... has to supervise own mind to avoid that it turns to the mistaken objects"
"... all those manifestations are only produced by the negative mind..."



All these quotations are very good, will say somebody, but the life is something where the joy is rare thing. Go out in the street -you will find mostly sad, indifferent, wicked persons. Specially in great cities. Try to smile to every person you meet in the street.
You are right. Unfortunatelly our existance is mostly infernal. And more we follow our negative mind more deep is our hell. And one day we understand that we become negative person. Always negative. And, the "best", we don't want to change.

First I read in on place that to become positive we have to exercise us remembering positive feelings.
For example. Look at the joy your body feels when you begin to wash yourself. Look at the joyful feeling your body has when after working day it touches the soft sheet. ecc.
You know, it's really iteresting. Personally I had never noticed these peculiarities. The joy of my skin after bath... ( photo)

And than I found one site of the followers of Thich Nhat Hanh (there are many sites) and different practices always full of joy there. Every movement is for him a meditation, every movement is the occasion to be happy.

As example I copy here his Tea meditation. No, think about it: tea time as meditation. Because meditation for him is joy -just as all texts want it.
Tea meditation is a time to be with the Sangha (group of followers) in a joyful and serene atmosphere. Just to enjoy our tea together is enough. It is like a “good news” occasion, when we share our joy and happiness in being together.
Than I was interested to read other practices (on the left of that page). It was really great reading for my research: where we have to find joy in the modern life.

Related links:
Raja Yoga Meditation for positive thinking
About happyness and positive thinking
"Positive thinking" or "joy of the life"
Emotional mistreatment -"bad" chief, parents, friends
How to do?-Everyday meditation for everybody and disrespect and emotional mistreatment
Satipatthana sutta -Thich Nhat Hanh ( italian )

5 comments:

  1. A lot of things depend on our interpretations. If you interpret something and is happy about it, fine. Others may think differently. It's find too.I wouldn't be so attached to what others think. I just like them go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think generally people don't like to think.There are people here too who know more about catholics more since they went to missionary school and while the people who do not know converts, the one who knows don't. It doesn't really matter really but I do think people like you and some of my friends here who like to read, thinks and can't just accept any religion with blind faith which is good and does not insult our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, Footiam, maybe it's about inpossibility to accept something "blind". For me is so. I have to be convinct, amazed, amused, "in love" to accept.

    I don't understand some "testimonials" that come in my house to take me in their church. I ask them to explain me some places from Bibel (as for me "Old Testament" is a book of horrors I could read it till the half and it was the most brutal book I read, because whant to be a real sory of God) but they even haven't read their Books.

    In russian it has a name "grief from intelligence" :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! Thanks for posting the links, very helpful indeed:)
    Bon Ami

    ReplyDelete